The time has finally come: you've established your company and now you need to staff it. Finding the right team members for your budding start-up can be even more daunting than it was to acquire your initial overhead capital, but it doesn't have to be! With a little bit of knowledge and careful planning, you can hire the right people to take your start-up to the top, even during the first round of hiring.
Channel Your Inner HR Pro
- Know what you're looking for in an employee and stick to these standards. An HR Manager would be expected to stick to guidelines when filling a position for you. Give yourself the same restrictions and reap the benefits!
- Consider using a "hiring panel" to give an unbiased opinion of job candidates. Established businesses have the benefit of multiple seasoned team members weighing in when evaluating a candidate's readiness, skills, compatibility, and other important morale-boosting or breaking qualities.
- Let Applicants Explore a Detailed Job Description. Take your time preparing the job description so that potential applicants know exactly what is expected of them before they send their resume.
- Test Your Candidates. Applicants may talk the talk, but can they walk the walk? Implement task-based testing to ensure potential hires are as good as they seem and not too good to be true.
Keep The Full Time/In-House Team Small
- Freelancers lower the initial overhead costs of staffing. They do not require retirement and other benefits because they are independent contractors, not official employees of the businesses they serve.
- You pay for quality, not quantity. Where most full or part-time employees are paid by the hour, freelancers are typically paid per project. The quality of completed work can be higher and produced in a more timely manner when payment is made for the finished product rather than the time taken to produce it.
- You gain a resource for your business. Freelancers help you to save on staffing costs while gaining the invaluable experience of a professional in the field. They bring their experiences of working with many other start-ups and established businesses to your door and put this experience to work for you.